Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April 13, 2011

I had a full day today.  I walked down to Tiananmen Square to watch the flag raising ceremony. It was very very busy for the 5:41AM ceremony.  There were very few foreigners there.  I hope to go see it at least one more time before I depart Beijing.  We then went to the National Day School.  This school was phenomenal.  There are approximately 4000 students in grades 7-12 at the school.  Most students are from advantaged families and have passed the very tough entrance exam.  Although the school is considered public, students still pay some level of tuition.  The school has students who serve as ambassadors.  The students speak excellent English.  My ambassador actually spent one year at Brebuef in 08-09 as an exchange student.  We then took a bus ride to the southern part of the city to visit a migrant student school. The school had 1200 students in grades 1-9 and they receive no support from China's government.  Although the school was very poor, the students work very had to try to learn.  I hope you can see for yourself on the pictures on the blog.  Amazingly, the kids are also learning English and were able to communicate with us.  I can only imagine what an American would say if they had to be a student or work in that school.  The organizers of the school created the school because the children of the migrant workers are not entitled to attend the regular public school.  What can I say about the food without being a broken record?  It is awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment