Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 20, 2011

Today I visited two other schools of the Yuhong district in Shenyang.  I went to No. 56 High School and the Daxing Middle School.  The school is public high school where all students live on campus in 3 dormitories.  The campus is very large and has 1700 students and they have an excellent principal.  It is considered to be a key high school in Shenyang.  I was able to visit a couple of classes and tour the campus.  The students take education very seriously.  The assistant principal was curious to know that we had so many after school activities because he couldn’t understand when students would have time to study.  The students of school No. 56 tend to study after school until 10:30 PM.  The students were quite excited to see that a foreigner was in the school.  They were very happy to try their English out on me.  At Daxing Middle School, I had a tour after meeting the principal and some English teachers.  I had an excellent conversation with English teachers of the middle school.  They really cared about the students and struggled to think that they could teach the students within a 50 minute class.  They could also empathize with Indiana teachers who are on the verge of being evaluated by student test scores.  These teachers said their typical day was 7:30 AM to 5:45 PM.  In the evening, I went the Guoao principal’s house for a dumpling dinner.  It was a big event and I got to help with the production of the dumplings.  I don’t plan to quit my day job, but it was a blast.  In the short time since I arrived on Saturday, I have made four very dear friends here in China.  I got to share an excellent dinner and evening with them, plus the spouse of two of them.  I know that Guoao is in good hands because their leadership is like family.  I truly hope I will be able to continue this relationship with them.  They have energized my belief in humanity because they truly want children to be successful and treat their school like a big family.

No comments:

Post a Comment