Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17, 2011

My first full day in Shenyang was dampened by rain and a chill in the air, but still it was fun.  I went to breakfast in the hotel.  I am pretty sure I am the only American in the hotel.  The breakfast was mostly Chinese food, but there was some bacon and sausage and fried eggs.  The funniest dish was the French fries.  I have been told that many Chinese believe Americans like French fries with every meal.  I did skip the fries.  My two hosts and the driver picked me up at the hotel at 9 AM to do some sight seeing.  We went to the Forbidden City of Shenyang, the Financial Museum and the Marshall Mansion.  The Forbidden City of Shenyang is related to the Forbidden City in Beijing, but it is exactly 1/12th of its size.  Hopefully the pictures will do the tours justice.  We ate dinner at a hotpot restaurant and it was delicious.  My hosts ordered the dishes.  The dishes are served raw and you put them in your pot to cook and then dip them in the sauces of your choice.  The Chinese make a great fuss over their guests and never want them to be hungry.  I put only 2 or 3 items in my pot because my hosts kept putting food in them for me.  I have a Chinese variety show on the television.  No English TV in Shenyang.  It’s interesting because every third song they sing is an American tone.  There are some truly amazing performers on the show.  It wouldn’t take much for the next American Idol to be Chinese.  Tomorrow is my first day in the schools, so I have to keep this short.  

No comments:

Post a Comment