Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Monday, April 18, 2011

April 18, 2011

What a great day.  My visit to Guoao Primary School was a powerful experience.  I was treated like royalty and very humbled by their hospitality.  I was driven to the school and greeted by the school leadership and some students.  I met with the principal and the assistant director of the school district briefly and then met with a group of staff members in a formal greeting ceremony.  After that, I went to several classroom to see the students and teachers in action.  There are 40 students in every class and only one teacher.  The students all greeted me with an English, “hello” and “how are you”.  We also counted to 10 and said the ABC’s.  I also visited an art class.  The highlight of the morning was going out to watch the morning exercises by the students.  I hope you can see some pictures that do a better job of showing the activities of the day.  In the afternoon, I toured the Beiling park which is related to the Temple of Heaven in Beijing.  At dinner, I tried a new food…Chicken feet.  To be accurate, it was chicken toes without the claws.  I have to admit, it wasn’t bad.  I had seaweed too.  A couple of interesting interactions:  1) a lady leaving the elevator looked up and said “hello”.  The others around her all looked shocked.  2) In the elevator, a young girl got on and didn’t notice me.  When she did, she immediately said hello and how are you.  It was fun to respond to both people.  I did take a walk after dinner around town.  I tend to turn heads in this city because I saw no other foreigners on my walk.  I may be the only American in this city.  When in Shenyang…. Zai Jian!

No comments:

Post a Comment