Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 14, 2011


Time is flying by!  Started the day by visiting a professor of education at Beijing Normal University.  The short version is that the Chinese are facing some daunting educational problems.  One of them is that they don’t like the high stakes testing model that they have, but can’t figure out a better solution.  The professor stated that Chinese students are good test takers but tend to lack the problem solving skills needed in the real world.  We ate lunch at the university, which was good.  I hope the picture of the fish we ate is on the slideshow.  It still had it’s head on it when served.  YUM!  We then went to a famous pearl factory and retail center call the Hongqiao Pearl Company.  Sorry Karen, I couldn’t make a purchase.  I left early from there and took a cab ride back to the hotel.  It cost about $6 for a 20 minute ride.  I took a video of the calmest part of the ride so you all can see.  My driver was funny and nice, but we couldn’t communicate with each other very well.  For dinner, we went to the Hutong district which is an old part of Beijing.  We took a ride in a rickshaw and had a dinner in the home of one of the families in the neighborhood.  I have much video from that so I hope to get it posted.  The hospitality and food was awesome.  The father of the home is a kung fu teacher and was a friend of Jet Li in the sports school they attended for high school.  The night ended with some karoke and the American’s singing John Denver’s "Country Roads".  Tomorrow is the Great Wall of China!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment