Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Things to be thankful for…

I have to say a big XIE XIE (thanks) to my friend Victoria from IPFW.  She helped me prepare for the trip and trained me to say some useful phrases.  She also told me to what to expect from the food.  The food, by the way, has been very good and she told me it would be.  She also told me about the venders so I have been able to handle their persistent push of their wares on me.  I am also thankful for my daughter Amber, she has stepped up and helped me keep this blog up to date.  Blogspot.com is blocked here in China, so is Facebook.  We believe it is because the government is worried that social networking on the internet could lead to the unrest that is being experienced in the middle east.  I have been sending these posts to Amber and she has been putting them up.
I am thankful for fresh air.  The air in Xi’An is very polluted.  Were only a couple of miles from the mountain near the Terracotta Warrior museum and could barely see the mountain.  I am also thankful for the organization of our traffic system.  There are relatively few traffic signals here.  There are is a constant dance going on between buses, cars, three-wheeled vehicles, two-wheeled vehicles and people.  We have noticed that the cars and buses don’t have any dents in them, but that seems absurd after watching the chaos that occurs on the streets.  The narrow misses I have seen in two days are enough to last me a life time.  I am also thankful for water that we can drink right out of the tap.  No one drinks tap water here.  I am thankful for my home.  Most people live in high rise apartments or in areas that would be condemned in the United States.  However, there is much construction of apartments that will force people out of their shanties.  Thanks also to Karen and Alex for their support in my trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment