Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Monday, April 11, 2011

April 11, 2011 Travel Day


It was off to the airport to catch a 12:15 PM flight.  Xi’An is very congested, but traffic seems to avoid grid lock.  It doesn’t seem like there are any rules for the road, but somehow it seems to work.  I am thankful I didn’t have to drive while I was there.  The point I will never be able to make enough is the volume of large scale construction that is under way in the Xi’An area.  China's government is pouring huge sums of money into building the country’s infrastructure.  The true impact of all this construction within China will anyone’s guess.  The Xian airport is under construction too.  The flight and ride into Beijing went smooth and we met the people who did not join us in Xi’An because they just flew in today.  We ate at a resturante that served authentic Sichuan food.  Of course, it was awesome.  After dinner, I took a walk down Wangfujing street and back through the vendors and the markers.  It was truly a cultural experience.  Hopefully, some pictures will bring it to life.  The main street is like 5th Ave. in New York or the miracle mile in Chicago.  The markets that branch off the street are like nothing I have seen in my limited travels.  I have been introduced to the “hello” people.  The people see that I look like an American and they say hello.  Of course if you say, something in return, they will do everything in their power to coerce you into buying something.  Another group will come up to you and ask if you speak English.  If you say yes they are most likely going to dupe you out of your money.  I never spoke to them.  Regardless, it is nice to be in Beijing and I know my memories of Xi’An will be fond.

No comments:

Post a Comment