Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16, 2011

Today was our last day in Beijing.  We took a morning tour of the Temple of Heaven and the park that surrounds it.  The Temple is a place where the Emperor would give thanks to the god in heaven for the harvest and prayer of a successful harvest the following year.  The architecture was quite beautiful.  The part of the trip I enjoyed the most is the park surrounding the Temple.  The park was a place where the Chinese who are retired go to exercise their body.  There were many different activities including dancing, martial arts, stretching, parallel bars, and a game like our hacky-sack.  What initially looked like playground equipment was actually for different types of exercises to work the different muscles of the body.  I admire these people for their pride in physical fitness.  Interestingly, smoking is still a large part of their society.  But as of May 1 this year, the government is banning smoking inside buildings.  After the park, it was off to the airport to fly to Shenyang in the afternoon.  I was greeted at the airport by a delegation of the Yuhong School District.  They gave me a large and beautiful bouquet of flowers at my arrival.  Unfortunately for the delegation, they were given incorrect flight information so they had to wait nearly 3 hours at the airport.  They took me at an excellent restaurant for dinner.  Only my translator spoke English, but we broke the ice quickly when I could say a few things in Chinese and I found that all of them have studied English at some point.  After the excellent food, I was checked into the Liyang International Hotel where I will stay for this week.  My first real language barrier happened when the internet in my room did not work.  A clerk at the desk knew enough English to help, but the fuyuan (service worker) did not.  We some how managed the situation using gestures and what little Mandarin I know.  I ended up moving to another room because there was a problem with the connection in the other room.  Sunday, I get a tour of Shenyang.

No comments:

Post a Comment