Scott Mills visits China

Here is information about my trip to China. I will try to provide updates and images of journey when in China. You can use the Blog Archive to see the different parts of my trip. I leave from Indianapolis on Wed. April 6 at 10 AM and return to Indy on April 24 at 10 PM. The purpose of my trip is to try to establish a relationship with a sister school in China. Through this relationship, I hope to help establish an exchange program with that school that might include students and teachers.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 9, Terra Cotta Warriors

One can look up the background of the Terracotta warriors on line.  The simplified version is that an emperor thought that he needed a massive army to protect him after his death so he ordered an army of clay statute warriors to be built but were then buried and went unknown for years.  The effort as, well as the craftsmanship, needed to undertake such a project is unbelievable.   I find amazing that each individual warrior is a different shape and size with unique facial features.  There is only a small portion that has been excavated so no one is really for sure how much more could actually be found.  We also went to the Banpo museum.  It is the actual dig site for a society that existed 6000 years ago.  This people live in basically a commune and everyone shared so no one accumulated their own possessions.  We went to the Big Goose Pagoda and wanted the dancing water fountains there.  If I can get video on the blog, I will show it to you.  Our dinner was at a truly authentic Chinese noodle house.  Our group was the only set of Americans to be found.  The kids playing in that neighborhood tried to practice their English on us.  I tried some Mandarin on them and we all laughed.  Tomorrow, we get to go to a rural village and experience rural life.

No comments:

Post a Comment